Sunday 8 November 2015

Assignment 5 - Tutor Feedback

Theme Book

I am pleased with the feedback I received from my Tutor for Assignment 5 of the course.

Although I was pleased with the work in my theme book and the samples I had worked I had been concerned that I had not developed these into a final functional piece.  I had made the decision not to add any of the samples to a functional piece.  My Tutor was pleased with the work and preferred to see it as a final collection of work.  I am happy with this.

My Tutor suggested that many of my samples could be displayed and mounted individually or in small groups.  This is something I am going to work on for assessment.

Sketchbooks

I had struggled at times with my sketchbook but my Tutor felt that my final sketchbook documents my progression clearly and had provided a place to work out my ideas, experimentation and primary research.  I am pleased with this and feel I can move on more confidently with sketchbook work.  I am beginning to use my sketchbook to look at and sketch my own work out so that I can see more possibilities also that I can use the book as an idea book from any inspiration that I gather.

Learning Logs or Blogs/Critical essays

My Tutor said that my personal log entries are well written, thoughtful and reflective with very good imagery to support my notes.  At the beginning of the course I was nervous about starting a learning blog and thought I would not be able to write reflectively.  As the course has progressed I have found this easier t do and enjoy it.  It is actually one of those tasks that once I get started I find it hard to stop.  Thinking reflectively for the course has had an effect on the way I see things not only in the course but in every day life and I have found this to be a good thing.  It is making me look more closely and differently at things for inspiration for the course and in any tasks that I undertake in my daily life.  I am finding it quite invaluable.

Suggested reading/viewing

My tutor suggested that although she liked the little book I had made of images from my walk by the river I might like to look at some simple ways of mounting a selection of my photography if I had time.  She also suggested that I  might like to look at some artists that utilise rust and burning in their work and refer to them in my blog.  Following this feedback I am looking at the artists' work via the web links my tutor suggested and have added these to my blog.

Pointers for Assessment

Preparing my work for assessment has been a bit of a worry for me and I have been thinking about it but unsure exactly what to do.  My tutor has given me a few pointers on how to prepare my samples and suggested that I had a tutorial with her via Skype if I wanted to go through any questions and discuss this aspect with her.  We did this and I feel much more at ease about what I should do in preparation for assessment.  I am by nature a very organised person and a lot of my work is already organised in a way that is suitable for assessment.  I am now looking through all my coursework and samples and preparing and labelling them.  

My tutor suggested that when I look back at my work I should reflect on what I have learned and that there may be a particular concept or technique I would like to develop in the future.  I feel more confident that it is alright for me to work the way I want to and that this course has given me that confidence.  I have at times wondered a lot as to whether what I am doing is right or wrong.  I now know there is no right or wrong way - I need to develop my work my way using suggestions and guidelines to help me in that development.  

When I spoke to my tutor I told her my concerns about whether I worked my sampling pieces too small. I often look at others work and see how large their work is thinking I should be working bigger.  However, it is just not me.  I know I have to stretch myself but I think I can do this without doing something that is going to detract from the way I want to develop.  My tutor put my mind at rest over this and reminded me of an exhibition I had been to see on her suggestion because she thought the work was just me in that it was delicate and intricate.  Two things that I know drive the way I do my art work and stitching.  This made me feel happier about way I am to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment